Monday, December 15, 2008

December 16, 2008 (Matthew 6:19-34)

Only two days ago, I was blessed to sit down and have lunch with a childhood friend. I had not seen this man in 12 years. Needless to say, we’d both changed quite a bit in the interim. It was, in many ways, one of the most encouraging and spiritually-uplifting experiences I’ve had in quite a long time. Yet, I was profoundly disappointed in myself because even in the midst of our reminiscing and catching up, I was conscious of another emotion present in my heart. Alongside the spirit of joy, I felt the cold, creeping hand of envy…and I hated myself for it. I hated myself for not acquiring all that he had…for being unable to give my family the things he had given his…for feeling as if I’ve wasted my life.

The next day, I read the blog of another dear friend who spoke of the struggle to keep his desire centered on God, rather than on the yellow SUV parked across the street. I knew I had found a kindred spirit, and I posted the following comment to his blog:

…Thank you for “being real.” I find this is a recurring struggle in my life as well. Recently, it has returned with a vengeance. It’s very difficult for me to look at others who have more, and not be envious. I hate this about myself. It makes me feel like a failure…


And today, I heard the voice of Jesus say:

Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. Store your treasures in heaven where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. Wherever your treasure it, there the desires of your heart will be also…

No one can serve two masters. For you will hate the one and love the other; you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money…

So don’t worry about these things, saying “What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?” These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you everything you need.
(Matt. 6:19-21, 24, 31-33)

-- Justin

Nicole Nordeman's Legacy

4 comments:

  1. I love the song, hon...and your honesty. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin, you are not alone in this struggle. I contstantly catch myself longing for more "stuff" and compairing the "stuff" I have to the "stuff" other people have. Another problem I have is not necessarily being envious of others but constantly wanting to fulfill these images of happiness through acquiring "stuff" that get planted in my mind. It can be pure torture at times. I'm certain that is Satan trying to get a foothold in my life. Thanks be to God though for forgiving us (over and over again) for these shortcomings.

    ReplyDelete